Sunday, January 30, 2011

Class Response - Frustrated at Fifteen

This class session made me reflect on all of the years I have attended school.

Walking into class, I expected to meet and have some kind of a show-and-tell with all of the students exploring the process of how they came to their final Egg project. Instead, Beth had us sit in a circle and verbally explain their thoughts and results. As many of us visual thinkers began to drift off, Beth interrupted the student's stories and asked us why we all seemed to bored. One of my classmates mentioned it would be more exciting if we could SEE what everyone was talking about while they were explaining the results of their projects. Beth responded with something similar to 'Thank you! Why did no one say that sooner?!' We all were surprised by her question, we are all so used to teachers telling us what to do and we just follow that it never dawned on us to interrupt and ask to stray from her plans.

When I was 15 years-old I thought I knew just about everything a person should know in order to drive. I did not understand why I had to wait until I was 16 to get behind the wheel. I remember asking myself "I am a mature person, how much of a difference could 1 year really make?" If it was up to me, I most definitely would have taken a ride to...just about anywhere! Because I was so eager, my mom would remind me she knows the milage on the car every time she took the other car out to run errands. Whether she actually checked the milage on the car every day or not, it stopped me from any and all of the rebellious thoughts I was having at the time!

Looking back, I understand the reason the rule is set where it is. Honestly, I wouldn't mind if it was raised a year or two seeing how careless many 16-year olds can be. I am happy the drive age is not 15 years old. Despite my frustrations as a young teenager, I understand why the rule is in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment