Monday, January 10, 2011

First day of class

I knew this class was going to be a fun time when Beth told us to move our swivel chairs in a big open circle then turned off the lights.

We spent the class time exploring our definitions of what 'art' is as well as what we believe entails the 'new media' industry. What we found was that defining 'art' is very difficult because many people hold different truths to it. Beth encouraged us to speak openly because no person's definition is right or wrong. In my opinion, I feel that art needs to have the intention of expressing some kind of emotion. The medium can be many different things. Because I have been a dancer for much of my life, I feel that dancing is a great way to express oneself, and therefore, an art form.

To add to this discussion, we watched John Cage's 4' 33" video on YouTube. I felt confused when I watched this video. I had a difficult time reasoning why it is art and I find it understandable why when he finished performing, he was criticized as an artist.

Although I did not have many expectations of what Seeing Sideways would be about, I felt the first day exceeded my expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment