Sunday, April 17, 2011

Class Reaction: 4/11

This week's class was very touching. My classmates shared their thoughts on why they were here. Many of the projects were interesting, but one especially stood out to me.

The girl that expressed her discouragement and confusion about not knowing why she was here was something I feel many of us could relate to. She said she feels like she lost a lot of inspiration and connection to her creativity. She isn't sure New Media is the best major for her, but she feels it is too late to change since she is paying for school her self. 

Personally, I was at that same stage 2.5 years ago. I was at IU in Bloomington majoring in Management in the school SPEA. I dreaded every class and struggled to become interested in the topics we were discussing. Thankfully, my parents were very understanding when I came to them and expressed my frustration and sadness. I told them this track wasn't for me and I want to explore what else is out there. 

I received a flyer in the mail from IUPUI about an event they were holding to give prospective students an introduction to what they have to offer. This is where I learned about the New Media program in the School of Informatics. I knew this is where I was meant to be. I love being able to express myself and be creative while working with technology. 

I hope the girl in our class understands that she is not alone. Hopefully some personal reflection will help guide her the way it helped me.

No comments:

Post a Comment